Education : Ph.D. (University of Calcutta)
Specialization : Marketing
Designation : Director and Professor - Marketing
Contact: +91-33-6652 9611 / 612
Email: [email protected]
Journal / Case studies
- “Non-coercive influence: Scale development and validation based on resource and relational paradigms”, (with M. Mishra), Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pursup.2018.04.001.
Abstract: To overcome competition in an increasingly network dependent market, retailers are required to influence upstream channel partners while sustaining relationships. However, the contemporary supply chain literature has not sufficiently leveraged the resource and relational paradigms to examine influence. Grounded on resource dependency theory and commitment-trust theory paradigms, this study describes conceptualization and operationalization of a 12-item scale for measuring non-coercive influence on upstream channel partners in retail supply chain management (R-SCM) context. The study is based on responses from 547 retail professionals in India obtained over four successive surveys. Psychometric properties were assessed using exploratory factor analysis (EFA) and confirmatory factor analysis (CFA). The proposed scale demonstrates construct validity. Invariance-testing carried out over 4-levels of increasingly demanding equivalence confirmed cross-validation. Nomological validity of the scale was tested by evaluating association with suppliers’ intention to cooperate. The results indicate existence of three dimensions of non-coercive influence: collaborative intent, market intelligence dissemination, and operational support. Retailers can use the scale to assess their personnel’s non-coercive influence behavior over suppliers.
- “Retail Supply Chain Management Practices in India: A Business Intelligence Perspective” (with M. Mishra), Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Vol. 34,pp.248–259, 2017.
Abstract: The study surveyed executives of a major food retailer in India and explored their perspectives on Supply Chain Management practices, competitive advantage and firm performance; to assess the importance accorded to application of Business Intelligence (BI) in their operations. Nine dimensions for SCM practices and four dimensions for competitive advantage are identified which are found to strongly relate to each other. The dimensions of SCM also strongly relate to firm performance. Though information sharing with suppliers and their inclusion in strategic decision-making emerge as key dimensions of SCM, their impact on competitive advantage is perceived to be insignificant by retailers.
- “The ideal leader: reflections on imbibing good leadership qualities”, published in IMI Konnect, October 2015, Vol.4, Issue 9, ISSN: 2321-9378.
- “Spencer’s Retail Limited: Repositioning in a changing retail environment”, (with Prof. Tridib Mazumdar, Syracuse University), Ivey Business Publishing, 26th March, 2014. (www.iveycases.com, Ivey Business School at Western University, Canada).
Abstract: A case study titled “Spencer’s Retail Limited: Repositioning in a Changing Retail Environment” by Dr. Mohua Banerjee has been published by Ivey Publishing, which is a part of Ivey Business School at Western University, Canada. The case puts forth the evaluation of a whole new retail marketing strategy based on Spencer’s Retail Limited. To target the expanding segment of upwardly mobile and upper-income Indians, the pre-eminent organized retailer in India decided to introduce western-style hyper stores with high-end merchandising. The initial reactions of shoppers were positive, but soon the novelty wore off and store traffic declined. To counter the negative consumer responses, the retailer undertook a year-long test of a new repositioning strategy in its signature hyper store in a large urban centre. The case provides the test results, which include consumer reactions as well as impacts on store traffic and profit margins. The case is available on the Ivey Publishing website where faculty, publishers and corporations worldwide can purchase copies for use in their classrooms, textbooks and seminars.
- “Big Data, Business Intelligence and Real-time Analytics in Retail”, published in IMI Konnect, March 2014, Vol.3, Issue 2, ISSN: 2321-9378.
- India Retail Report 2013, “Future Challenges for Retailing: For Policy Makers, Retailers, Branded Goods Manufacturers and the Wider Supply Chain Partners”, co-authored with Dr. Malobi Mukherjee, OXIRM, University of Oxford.
- “Changing pattern of consumer behavior in Kolkata with advent of large format retail outlets” published in IUP Journal of Marketing Management October- December 2010 issue; co-authored with Dr. Rajib Dasgupta (University of Calcutta).
- “Inclusive Value Chain and Organized Retail – A Reflection” published in IMI-Konverse, IMI Kolkata, 2010.
- “Impact of Malls and Organized Retail on Traditional ‘Kirana’ Stores in Kolkata” – presented in International Conference, “Decisions in Management and Social Sciences for Sustainable Development”, IISWBM; November 2009; co-authored with Dr. Rajib Dasgupta (University of Calcutta).
Newspaper, Trade Journal Articles:
- “Festivals will be much brighter, happier if ‘Taant’ sari industry is unfolded and made to flow again”, The Economic Times, October 3, 2014.
- “FDI Dreams, Fears and Reality”, IMAGES Retail, January 2012, Vol. 11 No. 1.
Books / Book Chapters
- “PROMO: A South-Asian Perspective”, with Thomas C. O’Guinn, Chris T.Allen, Richard J. Semenik, ISBN: 9788131528105, 1st edition, Cengage Publication, 2017.
- Contributed a chapter on “International E-marketing” to the French book “E-marketing and e-commerce, 2nd edition – Concepts, tools, practices; October 2014, by Thomas Stenger and Stéphane Bourliataux-Lajoinie.
- Contributed to the International edition of Pearson’s “Global Marketing Management”, 8th edition, Warren J. Keegan.
- Contributed to the International edition of Pearson’s “Retail Management – A Strategic Approach” 12th edition by Barry Berman and Joel R. Evans. )
- Contributed to the International edition of Pearson’s “Modern Management: concepts and skills” 13th edition, by Samuel C. Certo and S. Trevis Certo.
- Contributed to the International edition of Pearson’s “Consumer Behavior” 10th edition, Michael R. Solomon, Horizon edition.
- Building Competitive Advantage – Retail Management and Strategic Planning and Management – Retailing for Sales and Marketing Heads and Retail Heads of 22 circles, Vodafone India Ltd, September 2011. Had used the Survey Instrument developed by World Management Survey (http://worldmanagementsurvey.org/wp-content/images/2010/09/Retail-Survey-Instrument.pdf), tweaked it to the Indian context to initially map the stores and develop insights for the training programme.
- Retail Management Workshop, for Store Managers of Vodafone Essar Limited, Kolkata in December 2010.
Conferences & Seminars:
- Delivered a talk in The Retail Institute, Leeds Business School, Leeds Beckett University, UK, Annual Retail Briefing 2016, on India’s Changing Retail Landscape, held on October 12 and 13, 2016.
- Presented a paper titled “India’s Retail Policy: Securing a Balance between the Physical Store and E-commerce” in Oxford Retail Futures Conference – Public Policy in Retail and Supply Chain Management, in Säid Business School, University of Oxford, 8th and 9th December, 2015.
- Paper presented by co-author Dr. Lajonie titled “E- commerce in B.R.I.C. – A comparative study of consumer behavior across Brazil, Russia, India and China”, in ICTO (Information and Communication Technologies in Organizations and Society) 3rd and 4th March, 2016 Paris (Paper No. 55, http://icto2016.webs.com/).
- Presented a paper “Retail Supply Chain Management Practices: Key priorities for Competitive Advantage and Firm Performance”, at the 6th IIM Ahmedabad Conference on Marketing in Emerging Economies, 7th January, 2015.
- Presented a paper titled “Retail supply chain management practices: Antecedents and consequences” in ISDSI & OSCM International Conference – IMI Delhi, 28th to 30th Dec 2013.
- Presented a paper titled “Antecedents and Consequences of Supply Chain Management Practices: A Study of Indian Organized Retailing” in Oxford Retail Futures Conference – Big Data, Business Intelligence and real-time analytics in retail, in Säid Business School, University of Oxford, 9th and 10th December, 2013.
- Successfully completed “Case Writers’ Advanced Training Workshop” conducted by Ivey Business School, Western University – Canada, from May 9-12, 2013, New Delhi, under Prof. Ariff Kachra, Prof. of Strategy, Ivey Business School.
- In-absentia paper presented on “Journey to Modern Retail: A Comparison of Indian and European Retailing” as a co-author with Richard Cuthbertson, Malobi Kar (University of Oxford), at International Conference on Recent Advances In Retailing And Services Science (EIRASS), Vienna 2012.
- Presented paper on “A Scenarios Approach to Capture the Dynamism of Indian Retailing”, at Asia Pacific Retail Conference, Malaysia 2011; co-authored with Malobi Kar, Richard Cuthbertson (University of Oxford).
- Moderated session “Market Transformation and the Coping Strategies of Retailers” at Asia Pacific Retail Conference, Malaysia 2011.
Research Grant Project
UK India Education Research Initiative (UKIERI) and UGC’s Research Grant Project received for collaborative research with Leeds Beckett University from 2018-2020 on “Fostering Entrepreneurship for Sustainable & Inclusive Agri-Food Innovation – A Comparative Analysis of India and UK”.
The objective of this two-year research grant project is to evaluate the existing agri-entrepreneurial environment in India, investigate the capabilities of the agri-entrepreneurs and the entrepreneurs in allied sectors, locate lacunae and identify opportunities of agriculture as a profession (this coincides with the Government of India’s initiative to Double Farmers’ Income (DFI) by 2022-23 – with a targeted annual growth rate of 10.41%). The ultimate goal is to develop ‘learning and training’ packages for potential agri-based entrepreneurs for enhancing entrepreneurial competences, skills and behaviours, in the Indian and the UK context.
During the course of her travel to the UK from September 12 to September 23, 2018, Professor Banerjee has presented at The Retail Institute, Leeds Beckett University, UK, on September 20. The topic of presentation was “Impediments to Impetus: Cases of Agri Value-Chain from India” which was widely appreciated by the distinguished delegates of the retail industry who attended the conference. She has also conducted field visits to Precision Decisions Ltd. (Shipton by Beningbrough village), Wildon Grange Dairy farm (Coxworld), Fourth Milestone Dairy Farm (York), Higher Barn Farm (Hindley, Manchester) and Farmer Copleys (Pontefract), along with the research team (Professor Sharmistha Banerjee – University of Calcutta, Dr. Suneel Kunamaneni – Leeds Beckett University and Dr. Alfred Chinta – Leeds Beckett University).
Details of the research project and its events are available on: https://www.facebook.com/UKINDResearch
- Dr. Mohua Banerjee has been awarded the “CMI Level 3 Award in First Line Management” from Chartered Management Institute (CMI), UK for her successful completion of Leadership Development Programme conducted by Dudley College, UK. The programme was organized by UKIERI (UK-India Education and Research Initiative) and AICTE for faculty members of AICTE-approved institutions. A total of 100 participants were selected pan-India from 1043 applicants for the one-year program (2017-18).
- Dr. Mohua Banerjee has received the “Prof. Indira Parikh – 50 Women in Education Leaders” Award from the World Education Congress on 4th July, 2019. The evaluation was based on the following criteria – Strategic Perspective, Future Orientation, Track Record, Integrity and Ethics, and Ability for Sustainable Education and the awardees included academicians and professors from Dubai, Australia and Philippines, among others. The Award Ceremony was held at the World Education Congress Conference on “Reorienting Education for a Sustainable Future” in Mumbai.
- Sales and Distribution Management
- Retail Marketing