Centre for Innovation & Entrepreneurship (IMI-K CIE)
The Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (CIE) at IMI Kolkata aims to foster and nurture a vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem at the Institute and beyond. The Institution’s Innovation Council (IIC) and the Entrepreneurship Cell/Club, working under the aegis of the Centre, along with various initiatives taken by IMI Kolkata to promote an entrepreneurial mindset among individuals, seek to encourage, motivate and drive individuals, especially the students at the Institute, towards entrepreneurship and innovation initiatives/activities thereby contributing to the advancement of knowledge and the practice of Innovation and Entrepreneurship. The Centre seeks to provide a supportive and active environment to stimulate innovative or entrepreneurial attitudes of the students, faculty and staff and encourage and enable them to come up with entrepreneurial ventures leading to employment opportunities for strengthening the regional and national economy.
- Event : Session on Entrepreneurship and Innovation: An Overview
- Date :- July 22, 2022.
- Session taken by: :- Dr. Rajashri Chatterjee
- Participants: 60 students from Sri Sri Academy School
- Organized by: Faculty members of Sri Sri Academy
- Workshop Title: Role of Teachers in Fostering Entrepreneurial Skills in Students for New India
- Date :- April 26, 2022.
- Session on :- Entrepreneurship Teaching Models
- Name of the Speaker/Resource Person: Dr. Sachin Modgil, Assistant Professor (Operations & Supply Chain), IMI Kolkata
- Organized by: Academic Staff College, Amity University, Gurugram
- Workshop Title:Innovation and Creativity in Real Life Problem Solving
- Date :- January 27, 2022.
- Participants :- Students from Lakshmipat Singhania Academy
- Name of the Speaker/Resource Person: Dr.Rituparna Basu, Associate Professor (Marketing), IMI Kolkata
- Organized by: Lakshmipat Singhania Academy
- Workshop Title:Entrepreneurship Skill, Attitude and Behaviour Development
- Date :- January 19, 2022.
- Name of the Speaker/Resource Person: Dr. Gobindo Roy, Assistant Professor (Marketing), IMI Kolkata
- Organized by: Institution’s Innovation Council of OP Jindal University, Punjipathra, Raigarh
Event: CXO Symposium 5.0.: Panel Discussion on ‘CXO’s Role in Innovation, Creation and Integration: What’s Next?’
- Mr. Rajiv Mondal, CEO, Arogyam Medisoft Solution Pvt. Ltd
- Mr. Amol Maheshwari, Chief Distribution Officer, EarlySalary
- Mr. Nishant Singhal, Director & COO, Healthians
- Mr. Vishal Dave, Founder & Business Head, Revolucion
- Mr. Ashwini Saxena, Chief Executive Officer, JSW Foundation
- Mr. Dhaval Jariwala, Director – Advisory, PWC India
- Moderator: Dr. Rohit Singh, Associate Professor (Operations Management); Chairperson, Placement & Corporate Relations, FPM Committee; Member, Institution’s Innovation Council (IIC), IMI Kolkata
- Date: July 30, 2022
- Participants: Students & Faculty members of IMI Kolkata
Event: Entrepreneurship Summit: Panel Discussion on “Entrepreneurship in Digital Landscape: Risks and Opportunities”
- Mr. Rahul Basak, Co-Founder and CEO, Amar Canvas
- Mr. Aarsh Srivastava, Co-Founder & COO, Gravitas AI
- Mr. Shamik Guha, Co-Founder, Altor; Mr. Arijit Hajra, CEO, Think Again Lab
- Mr. Satadru Chowdhury, Managing Director, Vaanahaa Education and Innovation Labs
- Mr. Amit Das, Founder and CEO, Electronic One
- Moderator: Dr. Sachin Modgil, Assistant Professor (Operations Management), IMI Kolkata; Chairperson – Alumni Relations
- Date: June 25, 2022
- Participants: Students & Faculty members of IMI Kolkata
Event: Session on “Drafting a Successful Business Plan”
Event :Expert Talks on Innovation & Entrepreneurship .
- Speaker(s) :
- Mr. Surbhit Lihala, Vice President IT, Digital & International Business, Keventer Agro Ltd
- Mr. Vishal Sudan, Assistant Director (Indian Patent Attorney), Fresenius Kabi Oncology Ltd.
- Date :- February 12, 2022 .
- No. of Participants :- 141
- Event Details: Click here for Event details
- Speaker(s) :
Event: PRARAMBH 4.0
- Organized by: The Entrepreneurship Club, IMI Kolkata.
- Dr. Siddhartha SenGupta , Advisor to the CTO, TCS and Adjunct Professor, IIT Bombay
- Mr. Anish Agarwal, Co-founder and CEO, TABLT Pharmacy
- No. of Students Involved – 65
- Date: February 4, 2022 ( 10AM – 3PM)
- Event Details: The B-Plan Challenge during the annual management fest of IMI Kolkata. The competition required participating teams to submit, evaluate and present their Business plans. The event saw participation of students from institutes across India.
- Winner – G.H. Raisoni College of Engineering
- 1st Runner up – Goa Institute of Management, Goa
- 2nd Runner up – Great Lakes Institute of Management, Gurgaon
- Event :Business Clinic for Students.
- Date :- January 25, 2022.
- Participants :- PGDM Students, Batch 2021-23
- Event Details: The event aimed at instilling an entrepreneurial mindset in students as well as fostering a vibrant business ecosystem within the Institute and familiarizing them with the entrepreneurial clinics and infrastructure at the Institute. Professor Rachana Chattopadhyay, Dean (Academics),
and Dr. Rajashri Chatterjee, Chairperson, National Innovation & Startup Policy Committee at IMI-K conducted the session. Based on the discussions, Professor Chattopadhyay will be conducting a survey/activity to identify the level of entrepreneurial flair in each student participant to take up future activities/initiatives focused on this domain.
- Workshop on Entrepreneurship Development
- Theme: Entrepreneurship Skill, Attitude and Behaviour Development
- Date :- January 19, 2022
- Participants: Students & Faculty Members arranged by OP Jindal University, Punjipathra, Raigarh, Chhattisgarh.
- Name of the Speaker/Resource Person: Dr. Gobinda Roy, Assistant Professor (Marketing), IMI Kolkata
Organized by: OP Jindal University, Punjipathra, Raigarh, Chhattisgarh.
- Event :Promoting Entrepreneurial Mindset in Students
- Date :- 31 -Aug-2021
- Participants :- PGDM Students
- Lectures/Talks delivered by IMI Kolkata faculty members .
- On August 31, 2021 the Institution’s Innovation Council (IIC) and the Entrepreneurship Club (E-Cell) at IMI Kolkata jointly organized an event titled Promoting Entrepreneurial Mindset in Students. The event took place on the virtual platform and focused on developing an entrepreneurial outlook among students and creating a robust entrepreneurial ecosystem at the Institute. The speakers included Professor Rachana Chattopadhyay, Dean (Academics), IMI-K, Professor Tirthankar Nag, Dean (Research & International Relations), IMI-K, Dr. Rohit Singh, Chairperson – FPM & Chairperson – Placement and Corporate Relations, IMI-K & Dr. Rajashri Chatterjee, Chairperson, National Innovation & Startup Policy Formulation & Implementation at IMI-K. The talks focused on inculcating and promoting entrepreneurial mindset and attitudes among the students with a vision of developing a strong entrepreneurial agenda at the Institute.
Event: We Fail to Notice
Name of the Speaker: Mr. Kaushik Datta from Mercedes-Benz USA, IT
Organized by: Institution’s Innovation Council (IIC) at IMI-K
Date: 19th August 2021
Time: 4:30 – 6:30 pm
No of Participants: 225 (Students & Faculty members of IMI Kolkata)
Mr Datta started the session with relevant questions like “What we fail to notice? Is it very easy to build new things? We are what we repeatedly do” How many repetitive things you do?”. He put forth the notion that: We have to start noticing things where there is a gap. We typically remember data with an association. He put forth certain crucial points/concepts:
• Never think that a problem is unsolvable.
• Cognitive bias – We value loss more than gain.
• Dilution effect – Pay attention to the finer details. Certain information can dilute your observations.
• Fogg Behaviour Model
The Speaker further talked about how to deal with different situations and think about innovative solutions to redundant problems by highlighting on the statement, “Situations are real, our ideas may not be”. He also highlighted about optimization problems and cognitive bias, by showing some real-life examples for Selective Attention Test.
During the later phase of the session, the Speaker talked about The Hook’s Model: to describe how users interact with products and moves through four stages: trigger, action, reward and investment. After this, he concluded with the Fogg Behaviour Model having three elements for a behaviour to occur: Motivation, Ability, and a Prompt.
The session was very interactive and had lessons beyond classroom teachings, Mr Datta also told his personal feats at his company and how to endorse problem solving in the best available manner.
Name of the Speaker: Ms. Monali Basu (a Human Resource professional )
Organized by: Entrepreneurship Club at IMI-K
Date: 17th September 2021
Time: 4:30 – 6:30 pm
No of Participants: 63 participants for the event divided into nine teams
The event was organized by the Entrepreneurship Club of IMI-Kolkata on September 17, 2021. Problem statements pertaining to various industrial sectors were presented to the participants who were asked to brainstorm as budding entrepreneurs and work together in teams to provide an elaborative solution to the respective problem presented to them. They came up with discussing various offerings, competitive analysis, value proposition & social impact of industrial issues.
The event was graced by Ms. Monali Basu (a Human Resource professional with a 17 years of work experience in the corporate world) who acted as the judge for the event. The participants had to go through a vigorous Q&A round to justify their way of approach.
There were 63 participants for the event divided into nine teams. The event was a big success and the response from the participants were also exhilarating.
Policy for Reference
IMI-K NISP Implementation Team
|Sl.No.||Members||Designation & Affiliation||Assigned Roles|
|1||Professor Tirthankar Nag||Professor, IMI-Kolkata||President, IIC; Head, Research & Innovation; Innovation |
Ambassador; Coordinator – Entrepreneurship Awareness & Initiatives
|2||Professor Rachana Chattopadhyay||Professor, IMI-Kolkata||President, Student & Faculty Engagement & Mentoring; |
Head, Impact Assessment
|3||Dr.Rohit Singh||Associate Professor, IMI-Kolkata||President – Collaborations, Stakeholder Engagement & |
Industry Linkages; Coordinator – Entrepreneurship
Awareness & Initiatives
|4||Dr. Sachin Modgil||Assistant Professor, IMI-Kolkata||President – Alumni Relations/Collaborations, Mentor – |
Entrepreneurial Initiatives/Activities; Coordinator – Entrepreneurship Awareness & Initiatives
|5||Dr.Rajashri Chatterjee||Assistant Professor, IMI-Kolkata||Entrepreneurship Cell (E-Cell) – Mentor; NISP Convenor |
& Coordinator; Innovation Ambassador; Coordinator -Entrepreneurship Awareness & Initiatives
|6||Mr. Rudra Chatterjee||Chairman, Obeetee; MD Luxmi Tea||External Expert: Advisor: Entrepreneurship & Startups|
|7||Dr. Siddhartha Sengupta||Advisor to CTO, TCS Innovation Labs, Adjunct Professor, IE-OR, IIT Bombay||External Expert: Advisor – Innovation|
National Innovation and Start-up Policy (NISP) Committee 2020-22
|1||Dr. Tirthankar Nag||Professor & Dean (Research & International Relations), IMI-K||Internal Expert|
|2||Dr.Rachana Chattopadhyay||Professor & Dean (Academics), IMI-K||Internal Expert|
|3||Dr.Rohit Singh||Assistant Professor & Chairperson – Corporate Relations & Placement, IMI-K||Internal Expert|
|4||Dr.Rajashri Chatterjee||Assistant Professor, IMI-K||Co-ordinator, NISP implementation at IMI-K|
|5||Dr. Siddhartha Sengupta|| ||Entrepreneur & External Expert|
|6||Mr. Rudra Chatterjee||Advisor to CTO, TCS Innovation Labs & Adjunct Professor, IE-OR, IIT Bombay||External Expert – Innovation & Intellectual Property|
|7||Mr. Anish Agarwal||CEO, TABLT||Start-up Entrepreneur & External Expert|
|8||Mr. Arabindra Singh||Managing Dir.: ||External Expert|
|9||Mr. Nimesh Shukla||Founder & CEO, SunEncore (MNRE Channel Partner)||Alumnus Entrepreneur|